Tuesday, March 8, 2011

offering the gift of self

(since I am a horrible person, destined to die alone, unloved and without children) I have a ton of free time on my hands! Left to my own devices, I don't spend free time wisely. I sleep, read and watch crap tv (ie: last night's Lifetime tv movie starring Heather Locklear). I don't go to the gym (god how I should/must), I don't read to underprivileged/blind/illiterate/troubled kids. I only once (and so briefly) participated in a political campaign.

Well, now I think I want to get involved in something. Nothing as time committed as big sistering a girl but a cause that's a little less intense (and where I'm less likely to have a child's development in my hands). When I was in junior high my friends I did volunteer work at local hospitals and schools and I loved it. Now maybe something involving elderly people (though a deeply life changing Tuesday's With Morrie scenario is not at all a must). I'm not even a fan of elderly people, I'm just not sure what my other options are. Basically, the problem is I don't have direction, I just know I have the will and the time. 

Any ideas? 

3 comments:

  1. I just saw something on the news: baby cuddlers. This is for infants who are not quite ready to leave the hospital, but the parents can't be at the hospital all the time to interact and hold the baby. So they have "cuddlers" there, who hold the baby, talk to them, etc... while their parents can't be there.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The complete list is right at your fingertips.
    http://www.nycservice.org/index.php

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking for volunteer opportunity...let me know what you decide. I like reading for kids after school. I want to volunteer when I come live in NYC.

    ReplyDelete

 
My Amazon.com Wish List